Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Labor Day Feast


Before I get into my post about my Labor Day meal, I first want to take a moment to remember all of the victims from September 11th and all of the regular people who became heroes that day. I think I speak for everyone when I say that I will never forget your great sacrifice many people in NYC made and I am extremely proud to call this city home. 

People were not the only ones who became heroes that day. As everyone knows, I'm a HuGE dog person and I recently read the loveliest story about Roselle, a seeing guide dog who, on 9/11, was sleeping under her blind owner's desk. When an airplane crashed into the tower, she calmly led him down 78 flights (1,463 stairs) of Stairway B to safety, even as debris fell around and on them. Their story is chronicled in the absolutely amazing book Thunder Dog, which I highly recommend. 

Now on to the food....


Unsurprisingly, our Labor Day feast looks extremely similar to our Fourth of July picnic. With the burgers from our Memorial Day BBQ. And by extremely similar, I mean it is almost exact.

Can you blame us?

If hamburgers and hot dogs aren't American, and a barbecue isn't the thing to do when you have a day off, and Labor Day isn't literally a holiday dedicated to giving American workers a day off, then I am confused. Translation = that's exactly what it is. It's also a day to stick to recipes you know well, not pull random ones out of a hat. And that's exactly why, on Labor Day much like Fourth of July, my family barbecues.

Here are some of the highlights of the additions we had, because our mains were CLEARLY hot dogs and hamburgers.




Freddi's chili to top our hotdogs and hamburgers


Peppers, onions and mushrooms to slap on top of our burgers




The oft-requested (and winner of "dish of the summer" in my house) southwestern salsa


Pasta salad cause...duh, it's a barbecue

No comments:

Post a Comment