Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Roasted Vegetable Couscous

Welcome to the new and improved Sea Salt n Pepa blog! I've deleted a number of recipes prior to this post so this one may seem like it comes out of nowhere...It does not, I assure you. 


For all my new readers, welcome! I hope you enjoy my recipes, my photos and most importantly, my stories! Food and sharing stories have always gone together, as you know, and that heritage is what encouraged me to begin my blog. I want to share my recipes with you but also share my life. I hope you enjoy getting to know me!


+ + +


As many of you know, as much as I like cooking...I'm also pretty lazy. Especially when I get home from work. The last thing I want to do is spend hours cooking. On the weekends, absolutely. My favorite thing to do on Sundays is cook a huge Sunday dinner. Monday night? Not so much. That's why so many of my recipes are quick and easy. This is especially true for meals with seafood, as it cooks extremely quickly. A Sunday roast takes hours, a Monday salmon...not so much.


I've been getting in to Meatless Monday. For one, I'm a huge animal person (one time, in college, I actually joined PETA. No joke. Then I realized I wouldnt be able to wear fur, so I quit that real quick. but still. Have you ever seen those videos? So.sad.) and for another, I want to help with global warming. As much as I love 80 degree temperatures in February, I much prefer not having polar bears go extinct in my lifetime. Yes, Al Gore got to me. Damnit!


So this recipe fits both qualifications for a Monday night dinner--its quick and its vegetarian. And by quick, I do mean...10 minutes. Yep. You're welcome.


Roasted Vegetable Couscous 





Ingredients:


One box of plain couscous
One summer squash
One zucchini
One red pepper
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions


1. Preheat your oven to 400F.




2. Chop your zucchini, squash and red pepper into bite size pieces. Drop these into a roasting pan or on a baking dish. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.


3. In the last five minutes of the vegetables roasting, cook your couscous to the box's direction. The kind I use is very simple--boil water, add a bit of olive oil and salt, drop in the couscous, turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. !




4. When the vegetables are finished roasting and the couscous is done, simply mix these together in a bowl.


This is a perfect vegetarian meal or even just a side dish. You can save in the fridge for 3-4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment