Friday, February 24, 2012

Sole Rolls with Spinach and Lemon

Lately, I've been working on expanding my fish recipes list. For years, I would eat fish four days a week...and by fish, I mean salmon. I bought about eight different kinds of marinades (my favorites being whole foods brand and Lawry's), would buy a piece of salmon (4-6 oz., center-cut please), marinate it for 30 minutes, stick it the oven and eat. Generally with broccoli and asparagus. Asparagus done in the oven on the same pan as the salmon, broccoli steamed in the microwave.


Do you know how boring eating marinated salmon, broccoli and asparagus every day is? I used to consider it exciting when I added couscous or rice pilaf. Thrilling, right?


So I've decided to expand my horizons. And where else to turn beside my beloved Martha Stewart? Her website offers numerous seafood recipes (made her mussels mueniere recipe on Wednesday, but my camera is on the fritz so I have no pictures--this recipe was photographed using my iPhone, so apologies if they're not up to snuff) and I decided to alter this one that looked delish.


Sole Rolls with Spinach and Lemon




Ingredients


1 teaspoon olive oil
1 shallot, minced
3/4 pound spinach, stems removed
1 large lemon, washed
4 fillets (4 ounces each) sole (I used gray sole, which is one of my faves and way more affordable than Dover)
1/4 cup dry white wine
Salt and pepper


Directions


1. Preheat oven to 400F. 




2. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced shallot, constantly stirring--it's just as easy to burn shallot as garlic, so keep an eye on it. When the shallot is cooked, add the spinach, salt and pepper. Toss the spinach constantly and cook until bright green and not completely wilted - it will cook more later. Transfer to a colander and squeeze the liquid out; chop and squeeze some more. As this is a roll, you don't want the spinach to be soaked or the fish will be gross.




3. Lay fish flat on your work surface; place one part of the spinach and roll, enclosing the spinach within the fish. Cover a pan with sides (a gratin dish, if you want to get fancy) with tin foil. Place the fish rolls on and top with lemon slices. Pour wine and a little bit of olive oil on top. Then place a second piece of foil on top, so that the fish steams. Bake until fish is opaque, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

I had my sole rolls with broccoli and mashed sweet potatoes. By the way, sweet potatoes are supposed to be healthier than regular white potatoes, but with the amount of butter I put on them, I don't think they are. Oh well, I'm trying...



No comments:

Post a Comment