Monday, February 13, 2012

Salmon with Avocado and Tomato Relish

I have a renewed obsession with Martha Stewart. As you may remember from verrrry old posts, my family used to call me Mini-Martha cause I was obsessed with her craft ideas, decorating tips and recipes. And then...she went to jail. And i was like, wtf martha--how could you do this to me? My love was tarnished and it faded.


Well...until I started watching her on the Today show. It seemed like she was on every week. Was she trying to tell me something? Was she trying to reignite our flame?


Well...maybe. Or maybe the Today Show is just a great place for people who are their own brand to expand their reach. Either one. But anyway, my love for her was reignited and I began to stalk her fabulous website, marthastewart.com. While there, I found a delish looking recipe for Salmon with Sweet Corn, Tomato and Avocado Relish. Sadly it's February, and sweet corn is nowhere to be found. So...I improvised.


Salmon with Avocado and Tomato Relish




Ingredients:


Salmon fillets; 4-6 oz. per person (I prefer skin off, but that's cause skin kinda creeps me out unless it's on snapper)
2 vine-ripened tomatoes
2 avocados
1/4 red onion
Cilantro
Lemon




Directions:


1. Marinate your salmon for about 30 minutes. I made my own marinade, but you can use a bottled one. If you do, I recommend Whole Foods brand tropical marinade or Lawry's Hawaiian. It's good, a bit fruity with hints of pineapple, but not overwhelming. I've used both on salmon as well as white fish and have never thought it over took the flavor of the fish. I was cooking at my parents, so I had to make my own--I used soy sauce and lemonade.


2. While the fish is marinating, turn your oven on to 350 and move your oven rack until it is about 1/3 down from the top.


3. Once the fish has marinated, put the pieces in one layer in a baking pan that has sides, so you can add the marinade to the pan. Put the fish in the oven--depending on how your oven is and how well-done you like your salmon, cook for between 10-20 minutes. My parents oven is electric, so it took longer than my gas one at home. I like mine slightly pink and my mom prefers cooked through, so I cooked it for about 20 minutes; at home I normally have it in the oven for about 12.


4. Depending on what side dishes you are serving, start work on those while the fish is cooking. I made jasmine rice, which is a delicious addition to fish, which takes about 30 minutes, so I started it slightly before I put the fish in the oven. The other side I had was broccoli, which I "steam" in the microwave (what?! You expect me to cook everything? The microwave is the greatest invention ever and I will take on anyone who says differently). That takes about 3 minutes so I didnt worry about that.




5. Put together the relish. Dice your onion and tomato, removing the liquidy inside (I'm sure there's a formal name for it, but I dont know it so "liquidy inside" will have to do). Then cute your avocado--it's easiest if you use a knife before removing the avocado from its shell to cut into the size pieces, then use a spoon to remove it all from the outside. Last, dice up your cilantro. Combine all in a bowl, halve your lemon and squeeze the juice on top.


6. When the fish is done, put it on a plate and spoon your relish over it. Then enjoy!!!




The final plate. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment