Monday, March 12, 2012

Gray Sole with Tomato-Olive Relish

I'm proud to say that I am successfully still on my health food kick! And my cooking kick...aka Lent is still going on, so sushi is off the menu. Although someone (my aunt) finally decided to tell me that Sundays don't actually count as Lent...so I can eat sushi on Sundays! I'm not sure if that was actually a good thing to share with me or not, but I feel like this is going to get SO MUCH EASIER. 

Anyway, so I'm still on my seafood cooking kick. But I'm starting to get bored of salmon, which isnt very surprising, since I eat it 3 days a week now. I never got tired of sushi though...hmmm.... Digressing again! Back to the topic...what was the topic? Not raw fish? Cooked fish? Right. I remember now.

So I've been trying to think of recipes for white fish that are still a bit interesting. Unlike with salmon, which you can marinate for 30 minutes and change the flavor of the fish a bit, light white fish is completely overwhelmed by marinades. And who really wants that? But to just cook the fish is a bit...boring. Delicious, but not very thrilling. So I've been thinking of how I can spice up plain white fish and I came up with...tomato and olive relish! Who doesn't love tomatoes? And I'm not even a HUGE olive fan--which is odd since I love olive oil with a passion rivaled only by sushi--but when it's mixed in, I really enjoy the flavor it gives. The problem then was figuring out what to put in the relish with the tomatoes and olives. The answer was, unsurprisingly...garlic. And a couple of other things. That are all delicious. So make this. It's really good.

Gray Sole with Tomato-Olive Relish



Ingredients:


Light white fish fillets (I used gray sole; dover sole, lemon sole, tilapia, etc. would all be good also)
2 vine ripened tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup diced olives, without pits...obviously
2 large garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp chopped parsley
4 tsp chopped oregano
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Olive oil!


Directions:


1. Make your relish. You can either chop the ingredients, mix, and let sit for an hour (like this recipe) OR (this is what I did), saute the garlic and tomatoes in olive oil on the stove top. Throw in the rest of the ingredients for about 15 seconds and pull off the heat. Put aside and let marinate all together for 10 minutes or so.


2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Place fish fillets on a baking tray covered in tin foil (to ease the removal) and drizzle olive oil and 1 tbsp lemon juice over the fillets. Place in the oven and bake until cooked through--the fillets will flake easily with a fork.


3. Once the fillet is cooked, serve with the relish over top. I like the relish when it is warm, but serve however you like.


Simple, easy and delicious! Perfect week day recipe :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment