Friday, March 16, 2012

Slow Cooked Salmon with Shredded Brussel Sprouts

Wow that's a long title for a meal that was pretty darn easy to make.


A few weeks ago my mum and I had our second annual girl's weekend (does it count as annual if we've only done it twice?), where my mum comes up to NYC to attend the New York Wine Expo, which, by the by, I highly recommend attending. If you're interested, I did a short blog on the expo after that weekend.


After the expo, and our subsequent and much-needed nap, we trekked down to Soho to go to Mercer Kitchen, a wonderful Jean Georges restaurant located at the corner of Mercer and Prince. It is my new favorite restaurant, and it was helped along by our delicious entrees, including my mom's of slowly cooked salmon with mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts. You see where I'm going here? Well the brussel sprouts were not served on the side, as expected, but rather shredded and served on top of the salmon and man, let me tell you, it was SO GOOD.


So this week I set about replicating (or just using a few of the same ingredients since I don't pretend to be as good as the head chef at Mercer Kitchen) this fabulous dinner. While it may not have been the same, it certainly was delicious. This is a great way to trick someone who isn't a brussel sprout fan to try again the vegetable that oh so many people hate on sight...since they're shredded, you can't even tell what they are!


Slow Cooked Salmon with Shredded Brussel Sprouts




Ingredients:


6 oz. piece of salmon for each individual
Olive oil
10 brussel sprouts or so
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp shallot (I used about 1/4 of one that was roughly the length of my thumb)


Directions:


1. The day before, while I was cooking my mussels, I sliced the brussel sprouts so I could complete this meal as quickly as possible. Imagine making the sprouts into confetti--long, thin strips is the goal. Slice all of your brussel sprouts to that size.




2. Marinate your salmon in olive oil for about 30 minutes. This helps with the slow cooking process--if you're not slow cooking, the marinade is unnecessary. For slow cooking, preheat your oven to 200F. This increases the cooking time of your salmon, but keeps the salmon extremely moist. The color, when cooked completely, will be slightly darker than normal. If cooking normally, heat your oven to 375F and cook for 10 minutes or so.


3. Mince your garlic and shallot. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan and saute. Add brussel sprouts and continue to saute, stirring constantly.



Serve your salmon with the shredded brussel sprouts on top. As you can see, I served mine with asparagus (surprise!) on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment