Thursday, March 22, 2012

Seared Scallops with Roasted Brussel Sprouts

I'm happy to say that the photos for this post are in--you guessed it!--color. I double checked all camera settings  prior to taking any pictures. Victory!!!


Back to seafood. Apparently, meat doesnt agree with me. Or at least it doesnt agree with my camera. While all of my seafood pictures are in bright vibrant colors, the meat is in gray. If that doesn't say something about my preferences, I'm not sure what does!


As you may have seen in my mussels post, I love scallops. Like LOVE scallops. And am very particular about them. Scallops are the only meal I have ever sent back in my entire life (yes, believe that or not. My thought is that unless something is awful, its not worth getting a different dish. I have, however, barely eaten meals and had fabulous waiters remove the cost from my bill since I clearly didnt like it. But I've seen the movie Waiting..., I'm not sending food back unless so bad I'd rather get food with THAT in it.) They were rubbery and chewy and pretty gross.


I may not have very many people who agree with me, but I think scallops are pretty darn easy to cook. At home. In your kitchen. Without paying $30 (why do scallops dishes ALL cost like $30! They're not that expensive! Sheesh). So get on that. I promise, it's easier than you think.


Seared Scallops with Roasted Brussel Sprouts




Ingredients:


4 DRY sea scallops per person (make sure they're dry, otherwise they end up being disgusting)
2 tsp butter
2 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Brussel sprouts, quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 shallot, minced


Directions:




1. Preheat oven to 400F.




2. Start with the brussel sprouts, as they take longer. After quartering the brussel sprouts, put them on a baking dish or in a dish wish higher walls and add the minced garlic and shallots. Pour balsamic vinegar over them and toss. Put in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes. The smell will be AMAZING as the balsamic caramelizes.


3. Clean your scallops and remove any feet (the little bit that may stick out on one side that looks like it doesnt belong). Rinse the scallops and dry thoroughly. Salt and pepper both sides.



unplanned for Glad product shot. please ignore. If you're from Glad, please send more. #justsaying


4. Add the butter and oil to a saute pan on high heat. Once this begins to smoke, add the scallops to the pan, making very sure the scallops are not touching (if the scallops are too close, they will steam rather than sear, and that makes for very unpleasant scallops.) Sear for about 1 1/2 minute per side. A correctly cooked scallops should have a thin golden crust on both sides and be translucent in the middle.





No comments:

Post a Comment